Friday, 18 October 2013

Video from Scotland

The other purpose behind heading up to Scotland, besides photography and a holiday, was to get some interesting video in the bag, for two reasons. One, I needed something to edit to get used to the Adobe CC workflow and two, whilst my showreel is useful, it's a demonstration of what I used to do rather than an expression of what I'd like to do.



I've given my partner a shout in the credits not because she's my partner, but because she was genuinely a good production assistant. She booked the accommodation, lugged gear around, helped with setups, acted as a windbreak and generally made my job easier, all while she thought we were on holiday...

Things I'd change? If it was solely a filming trip I'd be a lot more adventurous in terms of shot styles, because part of the budget would be allocated to taking along excess memory capacity. I also think I made a last minute mistake in deciding not to take a second camera body along, which could have been set to take longer timelapses while I used the 7D for photography. From a production point of view, the music's a compromise, there was a slightly quieter track on the production music site I use that fitted my search parameters better but at $40, I simply couldn't justify that for personal use.

As an aside, I found that the search term 'sounds like Mogwai' worked a treat. Feels a bit like cheating but at the moment I can only dream of the day when I can afford to use some Mogwai on a video!

I also would have bought some more predictable weather... although we were up there for a week, the last two days were not as useful as they could have been as we were suddenly beset by bright blue skies. Fantastic for the part of me that was on holiday but not brilliant composition-wise.

All in all though, I think it's mission accomplished. I'm pleased with the end result, I'm ultra pleased with my new workflow and software, and I know what I want to do next time. Can't ask for much more really :)

No comments:

Post a Comment